Sunday, February 8, 2009

Listening to the hairs on the back of my neck . . .

I've noticed a trend lately. The line between historical romance and paranormal is blurring a bit. My next release, VEXING THE VISCOUNT is a historical romance, but there are a few “tingles” of magic in it.

My hero Lucian and heroine Daisy are on the trail of a lost Roman treasure. The clues lead them to an uninhabited island in middle of the Thames, a mist-shrouded place where no birds sing. The standing stones speak of Druid worship that pre-dates the Roman hoard they seek. Daisy feels the weight of eyes on her where none can possibly be. The island “has no use for them.”

My DH and I felt that tickle on the nape once. We were driving our rental car around Maui, exploring the island. We reached a place where the road narrowed and there wasn’t a house or hint of human development in sight. We pulled off the road, parked and got out, excited to find some pristine paradise.

And almost immediately, I felt a heaviness, a brooding resentment, coming from the very rocks around us.

“We shouldn’t be here,” I told my DH.

“You’re right,” he agreed. We hopped back into our little red Mustang and drove back to the populated area of Maui, breathing much easier. My DH, who is one of the least fanciful men I’ve ever met, experienced the same sense of disembodied malevolence I’d felt.

I don’t know what it was. I’ve never had that sensation anywhere before or since and we’ve been in some very remote areas. But I know that little portion of Hawaiian paradise definitely “had no use for us.”

Daisy and Lucian can’t hop into their rental Mustang. They have no way off their unwelcoming island. If you want to know what happens to them, please look for VEXING THE VISCOUNT in bookstores Feb. 24th! In the meantime, visit www.emilybryan.com to read an excerpt. Enjoy!

Author Bio: Award-winning author Emily Bryan writes light-hearted, sexy historical romance. She loves music, art, and history and spent one of the best days of her life at the National Art Gallery in London. Travel inspires her writing and a world cruise is on her “must-do-before-leaving-this-planet” list! (Of course, if the stock market keeps falling, she'll have to stow away on a freighter, but hey! An adventure is an adventure!)

"Bryan's delicious and witty romance has engaging characters whose fast-paced adventures will truly delight." ~ RT BookReviews

Leave a comment or question to be entered in my daily drawing to win a signed copy of VEXING THE VISCOUNT! And be sure to check back tomorrow to see if YOU are the winner!

11 comments:

Crystal Adkins February 8, 2009 at 6:05 AM  

You seem very very very excited about your release, is this your fav. book you've written so far? If not which one is?

EmilyBryan February 8, 2009 at 7:06 AM  

Asking a writer to choose between her books is like asking a mother to name her favorite child!

But one of the reasons I'm so excited about VEXING THE VISCOUNT is there are actually two love stories that meld together--one in 1731 London and the other in 405 Roman Britain. In this story, I was able to use both my writing voices--the lighted-hearted Emily Bryan and the darker, more dramatic Diana Groe.

To see what I mean, check out these excerpts:
Daisy & Lucian's reunion
Caius & Deirdre's first meeting

Enjoy!

Danielle Thorne February 8, 2009 at 7:59 AM  

I'm really looking forward to this book. As far as feeling things other-worldly, as our civilization progresses, I think our acceptance of good and evil beyond this veil has, too. We are more open and accepting that we can sense when we are being warned or are in places where there exists something unfriendly. Perhaps that is why it continues to find its way into literature. I love cross-genres; they can really refresh and make the story more exciting.

Rachel February 8, 2009 at 8:36 AM  

Emily-
Tourista time!
Having lived in a town in New England that was settled back in the early 1600s, I have had quite a few 'tingly' moments on my travels here. There are some places that just resonate with a supernatural vibration.
So happy to have met you yesterday!
Rachel

Virginia February 8, 2009 at 9:41 AM  

Hi Emily, the more I here about your book, the more I am looking forward to reading. I finaly make it back to following your blog. Things have been really busy here lately. We are trying to clean up after our ice storm.

Nixy Valentine February 8, 2009 at 9:50 AM  

I'd like to be entered to win a copy!

Babyblue22 February 8, 2009 at 12:47 PM  

Emily,
I love reading about you & your DH's interactions almost sounds like a scene from a book lol.
~Afshan

EmilyBryan February 8, 2009 at 1:17 PM  

Danielle--If you enjoy paranormal elements, please visit the websites of my fellow Chatelaines. You'll thank me later.

Rachel--I think you're right. Places with some history swirling about them do tend to set our "tingle-o-meter" twirling. Thanks so much for making the trip to the Romance & Chocolate Event! I'm so glad I got to meet you and your mom!

Virginia--Welcome back! No questions asked! :)

Nixy--Consider yourself entered!

Afshan--My DH always suspects I borrow from him to give to my heroes. Don't tell him he's right!

Julie Robinson February 8, 2009 at 7:08 PM  

Hi Emily,

Hope you had a great day yesterday. I'm so excited---yesterday, I went to the bookstore and there was Distracting the Duchess. None of your Diana Groe books were there, so I'll probably have to end up ordering those. Since I do like a touch of paranormal, I'll have to check out your fellow Chatelains' sites.
Catch you later,
Julie

EmilyBryan February 9, 2009 at 4:02 AM  

Julie--Thanks for looking for my books! I so appreciate all my readers.

My DH has decided to reward the early bird today, so CRYSTAL--You are our daily winner. Please send your mailing info through www.emilybryan.com

Today we're having a scavenger hunt at http://blog.heatherhiestand.com/. If the directions aren't posted yet and you want to get a jump on things, I'll post the rules at www.emilybryan.blogspot.com too!

Thanks for playing! Have a great day!

Crystal Adkins February 9, 2009 at 5:07 AM  

YAY! Thank you!! I always dislike being the first poster in contests lol b/c they never win. BUT THIS TIME I DID!! Thank you and thank your DH!!

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP