The very first thing I noticed was how normal everyone looked.
Oh, there was more than your usual percentage of bearded men. Ditto for guys with long hair. But in general, it looked like a tame gathering. I mean, no one was even in costume!
Somehow, I expected a UFO conference to be a little more flamboyant.
But things quickly picked up. For one thing, the community college auditorium was packed – people sitting in the aisles and standing in the back. About 60-70 UFO aficionados had been expected. More than 400 showed up. And more than a few of them totally believe that aliens from other planets have visited Earth.
Some of them also believe in ghosts and Bigfoot.
There were a number of knowledgeable speakers with impressive resumes, including the head of a local UFO group, a journalist from a national UFO magazine, and a college professor who has made it his life’s work to uncover the hidden memories of alien abductees through hypnosis.
There was also some cool eye witness testimony from a few very sane-looking people who had seen UFOs flying over their homes at night.
It was an extremely interesting afternoon! Here's a recap of what I learned:
- Aliens have been visiting Earth since the 1920s.
- They fly in aircraft that can change direction and speed very quickly.
- Some spaceships have been recovered by the military, but the brass isn’t talking.
- For whatever reason, it is extremely difficult for a human civilian to take a decent photograph of a UFO.
- The military has been reverse engineering military aircraft from alien spaceships.
- If scientists don’t acknowledge the alien presence on Earth it’s because they are not looking at the data logically.
- Aliens have abducted a lot of people over the years.
- Abductees’ memories are mostly wiped out afterward, but can be recovered through hypnosis.
- Many of the abductees have had similar experiences, even people who have never heard any other abductees’ stories.
- Aliens can control humans’ minds.
- UFO believers do not have a high opinion of Bill Nye the Science Guy (though I was unsure whether the heckling was directed at Bill! Bill! Bill! himself, or whether Dr. Nye was simply a symbol of the entire disbelieving scientific community).
- Aliens do a lot of reproductive experimentation on humans, gathering sperm and egg samples.
- Aliens do this because they are creating a hybrid alien/human race.
- Over the years, the alien/human hybrids are becoming more and more human-looking.
- There are a lot of hybrids living on Earth now, posing as humans. They could be your next door neighbor (I always suspected…).
- The aliens are probably planning an invasion of Earth, and the hybrids have probably been stationed here to help when the time comes.
- Some UFO believers think this invasion will be a good thing. Others are not so sure.
But this WAS the first time I’d heard the theories seriously presented by intelligent people in a non-fictional environment.
Am I now a believer?
Well, not really, but I have to admit, it’s more than a little spooky. While even the most hardened UFO enthusiasts admit that 90% of UFO sightings/abductions are false, there’s still that 10% that can’t be explained.
And that ½ of 1% that REALLY can’t be explained.
So….here's what I took away from my first UFO conference:
*Something* weird and unexplainable has happened to many people over many years. As for what it is…I haven’t a clue. But it sure inspires story ideas!
Vampire conference, anyone?
More Immortals adventure
available at the end of February!
Read an excerpt of "Blood Debt" by Joy Nash