Friday, December 26, 2008

Twilight

Christmas is over. We had a lovely day and hope you did too. In the wake of my surgery, I'm not up to standing for long periods of time, so I didn't fix the obligatory turkey dinner. My DH put a big roast in and my only contribution to the feast was to make homemade gravy. (Hmmmm. Wonder how long I can keep up this no-cooking gig?)

We opened our presents, which felt a tad anticlimactic to me because there was nothing under the tree that meant as much as the shining faces around it. But I was intrigued with one present that went to our youngest. Our oldest daughter gave our youngest the complete Twilight series. She "chain-read" them and thought her little sister would enjoy them too.

My youngest daughter has some learning disabilities that make reading a struggle, but she can do it if she's motivated. She read the Harry Potter books and the Chronicles of Narnia and loves the Cat Who mystery series. But she seems to do best when she sees the movie first. Then she can't wait to dive back into the fictional world to visit the characters she already knows.

So this afternoon, we'll take the T to Boston Commons and indulge in another of our Christmas traditions. We're going to the Twilight movie. I'm curious to see what the attraction is because personally vampires don't do it for me. My oldest daughter says the draw is Edward--an old soul trapped in a 17 year old body. He's courtly. He's full of honor. And he cares about his lady love's purity enough to guard it even from himself.

So that's what's driving all the tweeners to the theatre 8 and 9 times. The hero is a gentleman vampire. How unique.

If you've seen the movie or read the book, I'd love to have your take on this rising phenomenon. What do you think has catapulted TWILIGHT into the spotlight?

Don't miss Emily Bryan's 50 day/50 blog tour starting January 1st! Join Em in cyber-space for 50 chances to win a copy of VEXING THE VISCOUNT! Sign up for her no-spam, no-advertisement newsletter to receive a personal copy of the blog tour itinerary!

7 comments:

Dawn Colclasure December 26, 2008 at 9:03 AM  

I hope your recovery from surgery goes well. I think the thing about vampires is that they're just so curious. They don't exist, they get away with murder (for the most part) and they can be so scary and cool at the same time. Glad you had a nice Christmas! :)

EmilyBryan December 26, 2008 at 3:07 PM  

I think you're right, Dawn. Vampires are a mix of monster and seduction.

After seeing Twilight, I was impressed with Edward's internal conflict--his desire for her blood vs his need to protect her, even from himself. He's definitely walking the hero's path.

Lady Lauren December 27, 2008 at 9:21 AM  

Glad you enjoyed your Christmas! This was our first with our son, so it was fun even though he wasn't impressed with any of his gifts! lol... next year he'll be interested in the boxes, I'm sure.

As for Vampires... I'm a huge fan. I think it's the dark, mysterious thing that does it for me. I'm usually always drawn to the dark, arrogant reprobates... lol... (They hold the same appeal for me as pirates...) You know they're bad and they kill people and they're beyond dangerous, but they fall all over themselves for the women they love! And the internal struggle thing is quite compelling.

I've watched the Twilight movie, which I've seen twice and loved. I've not read the books yet, but my sister bought me them for Christmas. And my older sis, whom I've never seen pick up a book before now, loved the books and has seen the movie 4 times! I think they're a little juvenile compared to other vamp stories, but they're still fun. I love the HBO series, True Blood! Planning to read those books next. (Of course that will have to come after Vexing the Viscount in Feb!!! Can't wait!!!)

EmilyBryan December 27, 2008 at 4:18 PM  

Lauren, how lovely to celebrate a first Christmas with your little one! I remember when our youngest daughter was a toddler unwrapping her presents. She was so delighted with each one we practically had to pry them away from her so she'd open the next package.

Twilight has a killer internal conflict. Edward wants Bella's blood so badly it's as if she's his own personal brand of heroine. And yet, he's compelled to protect her and keep himself in strict control around her. For struggling with that dilema, he rates a hero's lable.

Hope you enjoy Vexing the Viscount!

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner December 28, 2008 at 10:30 AM  

I'm a vampire fan--obviously after my previous post about True Blood. I like vampire heroes because of that conflict you describe--their very nature is one of violence, but at the same time they want to protect the heroines, most of all from themselves.

My favorite vamp novels are the Charlaine Harris ones (Eric is hot, mmm, yeah). I was also a huge Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan (Spike!). I'm currently reading a lighter take on vamps in a Kerrilyn Sparks book, and enjoying the heck out of it. I also had great fun writing a vampire baddie (Septimus) in the Immortals series. I liked playing with the good/evil aspect of him.

EmilyBryan December 28, 2008 at 12:50 PM  

Good and evil is what writing is all about, isn't it, Jenn? We're fascinated by the choices and the consequences.

In one of Katie MacAlister's vampire stories, she made quite a bit about the whole "Vampires have no soul" thing. In her books, finding the right woman was instrumental in the vampire's redemption.

Is that a common thread or just one author's take on the legend?

Bonnie Vanak December 29, 2008 at 5:31 PM  

Hi Emily, glad you had a good Christmas! Vamps are fun.

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP