Friday, December 5, 2008

The Assault of Laughter

Emily Bryan here. I really appreciated Jenn's post yesterday. It was a hysterical vid. I'm enjoying laughing more than usual lately. It might be because I was just diagnosed with colon cancer last Monday. If you care to know more about that, please visit my blog.

I'm scheduled for surgery next week (Dec 10th), so I'm getting ready to pack up for what I choose to think of as a visit to the "health spa." (What? They'll wrap me in warm blankets and deliver my meals on a tray while I lounge in bed all day. My surgeon is cute enough to be a cover model. Doesn't that sound like a spa to you?) And I'd like some suggestions on what books to take with me.

My friend Christie Craig has sent me her latest, Divorced, Desperate & Dating. I've been warned to read it with caution lest I bust a stitch with a belly laugh. Books deliver several layers of humor--the knowing smile, the soft chuckle, the Diet Coke shooting out the nose response. I'm looking for some fun reads for my week-long stay at the hosp--I mean, health spa. So what do you suggest?

My editor Leah just emailed me this morning with the advance news that my Distracting the Duchess (my first romantic comedy historical!) has been nominated for a Reviewer's Choice Award from Romantic Times and my hero Trev is up for a K.I.S.S. Award as well. I'm thrilled. (I'm glad this happened now rather than later. I'd hate to think it was a sympathy nomination!)

Also, if you missed out on winning the Pleasuring the Pirate that Bonnie gave away earlier this week, you have another chance. I'm blogging at http://www.authorsandbooks.blogspot.com/ on Monday, Dec 8th and one lucky commenter will receive a signed copy in time to make a great stocking stuffer. I'll also be at http://www.dearreader.com/ next week starting the 8th. If you haven't signed up for this, it's a fun service. Each week, you receive snippets of a new book a little each day so that by the end of the week, you know if you want to read more. I'll be on the forum answering questions on Monday and Tuesday, but expect not to have internet access for the rest of the week. Cancer is just so dang inconsiderate of people's schedules!



Of course, I would appreciate your prayers and healing wishes. They mean a lot to me and I am a firm believer in the power of prayer, but I also invite you to laugh with me. Please let me know which funny books you recommend for my trip next week. Mark Twain said, "Against the assault of laughter, nothing can stand."



This includes cancer.


video

14 comments:

Christie Craig December 5, 2008 at 7:00 AM  

Wow! Congrats on your Reviewers Choice nomination! You so deserve this.

And girl, your sense of humor, if not your sweet spirit is going to pull you through this like a champ. I'll be holding your hand...in spirit.

I hope you enjoy Divorced, Desperate and Dating!

CC

Anonymous December 5, 2008 at 7:03 AM  

Dianna,

Oh, sure cancer is a bad diagnosis but things could be worse. Far worse. For example, you could have lost your ability to have an orgasm and instead going to a spa to be fixed you were forced to go out and find a man to help you get it back. That is the predicament the heroine finds herself in my novel DIBS. If you want some laugh out loud romance, you need to add this book to your TBR list while you're recovering from surgery. It's available as an e-book now at www.thewildrosepress.com and will be available in print at Amazon.COM. the last week of December.

My prayers are with you.

Lisa Wells

EmilyBryan December 5, 2008 at 8:51 AM  

Thanks, Christie and Lisa. The only thing I can control as I go through this thing is my attitude and what I read will either bolster or depress that.

I've decided to stop watching HOUSE for a while. Sure, he almost always saves his patient, but he nearly kills them first! Instead I'll watch reruns of Frasier or some ridiculous old movie like MEN IN TIGHTS.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine!"~ Proverbs 17:22

Cindy Holby December 5, 2008 at 1:04 PM  

I have to recommend Pleasuring the Pirate for a delightful read. Oh yeah, wait, you wrote it. Anyway I started reading it yesterday while waiting around for test results at the vets office (not for me, for my dog) and chuckled many times. And the test results came back good too.

As far as fun reads, Seven Ways to Lose Your Lover by Alyssa Day is great fun.

Rowena Cherry December 5, 2008 at 3:44 PM  

Emily/Diana,

Laughter is indeed the best medicine... that and fiber.
And an upbeat attitude such as yours.

Congratulations on all the kudos coming for the Emily Bryan books. Long may the streak last!

You've got some great reading. If you want funny... you might try my latest: Knight's Fork. For pre-op conversation, you might ask your surgeons or their assistants whether sperm wars could be the tiniest gladiator sport known to man.

Hugs,

Rowena Cherry

Terri December 5, 2008 at 4:16 PM  

While cancer is not what you want to hear, your attitude is awesome. That's the spirit that will get you through this.

Divorced, Desperate and Dating is a great book. I really enjoyed it and have already passed it on to my mom. I think my daughter is next in line.

As for books with a bit of humor....I like all of Katie MacAlister's stuff. She has everything; historicals, contemporary, and paranormal. Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series is good. I know I have more but the brain is dead.

Terri

EmilyBryan December 5, 2008 at 5:22 PM  

Glad to hear your dog did ok at the vet, Cindy. Ro, you are always wickedly funny. Terri, I like Katie MacAlister too! I remember one book of hers that starts with "Imps!"

Her heroine has been invited to eradicate an imp infestation and ends up with a vampire lover. Very irreverent and funny.

Margay December 5, 2008 at 5:50 PM  

Congratulations on your good news. I will send positive thoughts your way for a quick recovery.

EmilyBryan December 6, 2008 at 5:52 AM  

Thanks, Margay! I appreciate your positive thoughts. So many people have let me know they'll be praying for me or thinking of me, I feel very blessed!

Margay December 6, 2008 at 6:00 AM  

Any time. I hope all is going well for you.

Anonymous December 6, 2008 at 11:44 AM  

Emily, Have you tried Katie MacAlister's dragon series. That's really good. She just had another vampire one come out. I even love her historicals. Yep, I'm a fan.

Terri

EmilyBryan December 6, 2008 at 2:27 PM  

Never have tried Katie MacAlister's dragon series, but I'm a huge fan of Shana Abe's Dragon tales. What a lovely lyrical voice she has!

wordtryst December 7, 2008 at 9:41 AM  

Came over from the Ladies'...

Wonderful news about your nominations! Just what you need to cheer you up at this time!

I'm not going to recommend anything too funny because I remember those ouch-y, stitch-stressing laughs after I had my son! So I'll blush and recommend my own novel (you did ask!) although you sound like a historical girl and mine is contemporary. If escaping to the Caribbean (my home) for some virtual fun and sun after your surgery sounds like a good idea, try Cafe au Lait. (Dorch.Sep08)

Okay, now that I've pimped me, ever read Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome? It's so funny and so relevant you'd never guess it was written more than a hundred years ago.

I'm praying and rooting for you. I'm also taking note of your great attitude so I can emulate it if I'm ever faced with a challenge like yours.

All the best,
Liane Spicer

EmilyBryan December 7, 2008 at 10:28 AM  

Hi Liane,

I LOOOOVVVVVEEEE the Caribbean! The DH and I have cruised there 7 or 8 times. Those islands call to me. I posted a little photo montage of my most recent vaca, just a month ago, on my MySpace page. http://www.myspace.com/dianagroe (real name) My parents (who are both cancer survivors--if I have a positive attitude, I blame them!)came with us. We had a wonderful time and can't wait to go back.

Thanks for coming over and letting me know about your book. I write historicals, but my reading taste runs the gamut. Contemporary comedies, romantic suspense, paranormal--I enjoy anything that's well written, which I'm sure yours are! And setting Cafe Au Lait in one of my favorite playgrounds is a big plus!

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP